In a bid to secure a place at the next Games, the Philippines has decided to hold the 2020 Olympics in the resort of Bali.
The Philippines had been planning to host the games in Tokyo, but it was cancelled last year amid the rise in anti-Japanese sentiment.
This decision was met with scepticism and anger by some of the local sports teams.
It was a blow to the country’s image abroad, and in the eyes of the International Olympic Committee.
The IOC, for its part, had urged the Philippines to host at least two of the 2020 Olympic games, citing the country as a strong contender for the 2024 games.
In its bid to host both the 2020 and 2024 Games, however, the IOC was forced to admit that there were serious issues with the current Olympic infrastructure.
Many of the venues have been damaged in the aftermath of Typhoon Haiyan.
The country was also struggling to provide the necessary infrastructure to host a Paralympics.
There was even talk of cancelling the games altogether.
But in a bid for stability, the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) on Monday approved a list of six venues to be used as temporary venues in the Philippines.
It also agreed to allocate some of its $12bn (£7.7bn) in funds to the development of the country.
The IPC also approved the opening of the Philippine National Paralympia Centre (PNPC), which was supposed to open in 2020.
But it will instead be used for the Games, instead.
PNP President Benigno Aquino III said on Tuesday that the opening would not be delayed.
“The PNP is committed to the Philippines hosting the 2020 Paralympica, and I will not be postponing it,” he said.
Aquino also noted that the country had already agreed to host two games in 2021, in London and Beijing.
“This is good news for the Philippines and the IOC, who were hoping to secure this event in the 2020 Games,” he added.
The decision comes as the government has sought to find new venues for the Olympics.
Earlier this month, the Philippine government said it would spend $1.3bn to build the facilities of the Olympics, with $500m going towards the construction of the PNP Olympic Stadium and a further $500 million towards the PNPC Stadium.
The rest will be provided by the government.
But the PNC Stadium has yet to open.
In a statement on Tuesday, Aquino said the PNNC Stadium would be open and operational by 2020.
“After the Games we will have a PNP Sports Stadium and the PNA Sports Stadium,” he told reporters.
“And we will continue to provide facilities for our Paralympians and the community,” he continued.
“There will be many more venues and facilities for the Paralympism.”
The IAC has said that the new venues will allow for “a much more stable and professional Paralympik system, including a complete infrastructure upgrade”.
The IOC has said it will also consider providing the Philippines with additional funds to help pay for the infrastructure needed to host events.
“As long as the Philippines can afford to host an Olympic Games, we will certainly consider it,” IOC president Thomas Bach said on Monday.